Friday, December 17, 2010

It's ALL About Daddy... ALL the Time!




I tried giving up Diet Coke for awhile, it didn't last.

The point to today's blog entry ISN'T that I drink Coke (diet), but that I (like everyone) have routines and habits. Some I am trying to break (like brushing my teeth at night-COME ON GIRL-DO IT!), and then there are habits that are established, and are great things to do. I think the number one positive habit that I have, is my ability to drop everything I am doing for myself in order to do something for my husband-when he asks me to do it. (Crazy thought-I KNOW)

Every morning at (XYZ:30), my children come and bounce into our king-sized bed. There are moments that I am so tired, that I don't even notice, and I wake up face-to-face with a three year old or bottom to bottom with a four year old. Kids that sleep anyway BUT parallel! They are perpendicular sleepers AT BEST.

This week a friend was asking me, "Jessica, how do you stay focused during prayer time?" It was a great question, and it led me to wonder... Do I HAVE prayer time? Gloria Copeland says that we should pray an hour a day, and I so admire people who can do that. (Hindsight-I guess if I wake up BEFORE the five kids do, maybe I COULD pray for an hour too...hmmm) But then on the flip side- Jesse Duplantis (another fab preacher) says he "never" prays, but he talks to God ALL-THE-TIME. I have always been of this sort of person. Thinking, talking, and communicating with God via constant communication. This has taken some time to be confident in doing, but I have learned.

You know how I learned how to do it? I established the habit by putting my husband #2 (next to God alone) in my life. Everything I do-I do for him. I have made the habit of cleaning the house for daddy, putting on make-up for daddy, dressing for daddy, and being 100% present for daddy. Pretty much-unless I am doing something for God-it is ALL about daddy ALL the time. This is NOT an unnatural affection-this is a marriage relationship, and after 15 years we have figured out that as long as I DO it that way (100% available-you-can-call-and-ask-me-anything-any-time-and-I-will-do-it), and he makes all HIS cleaning the house for mommy, going to work for mommy, dressing for mommy, and being 100% present for mommy... we have created a relationship that will last!

Learning the habit of being 100% present for someone (or something like prayer), IS A HABIT THAT TAKES AVAILABILITY. Are we "available"? I feel like one-whole-mom, when I can give my husband 100% of me, dropping whatever I do when I am doing it to serve him-because my children have watched their mother and father attempt to out serve each other! What an example! What a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment