Saturday, December 11, 2010

Yesterday We Dined, Today we PLAY




As a mother of five, I am constantly looking at and re-evaluating my house. What works? What doesn't work? For some reason, I think I am just wired to some sort of definition of "perfection". The house that we currently are in is 1100sqft, and has 3 bedrooms. Since my husband and I periodically work from home, it is MANDATORY that we have an office. This, left me with two choices...

1. Permanently reside on a hide-a-couch (this leaving the five kids to share the Master bedroom then use the 3rd bedroom as a playroom)

2. Use our "dining room/living room" as a play room (thus removing the 2500$ dining room set from the living room, and storing it out in the garage-SIGH)

Since my husband Jeff is in training to be a Professional Golfer, you can imagine what I chose. (No new hide-a-bed for us) Yesterday, I said "good-bye" to my 1959 vintage Drexel Heritage table and chairs- and I said "Hello" to Ernie, Elmo, and of course Thomas the Train.

How long will it last? I am not sure. Right now, we are carding out the folding table from Costco EVERY time we want to eat. It is a lot of work, but I am having fun doing something different-I am considering it "setting the table", LITERALLY.

During the day, my living room looks like a day care, and by the time dad is about to come home, we wrap it all up and put it in the hall closet. Then we "set-up the table", and all 7 of us sit to eat.

Preparing a place where my children can be creative and explore, makes me feel like ONE WHOLE MOM . It isn't that I desire their approval, it is that I desire their minds to be able to be free to be as creative as possible. Something (creativity) quite lacking in today's society. Well-I guess using a folding table from Costco, every night and morning to eat from-that's pretty darn creative...

No comments:

Post a Comment